Supervisor: Sandrine Lacombe
Uptake dynamics of nanoagents and effect on radio-enhancement
Primary task of my project is elucidation of the biological impact that nanoagents have on cells. In order to do this it is necessary to precisely quantify internalization of nanoagents in different cell types, type of internalization (endocytosis, pinocytosis etc.) and type of cell death that treatment provokes as well as effects of the treatment on the genetic material of the cell. Nanoagents achieve all these effects due to high atomic number Z of their constituents (platinum, gold, gadolinium etc.).
In order to achieve all above mentioned, it is necessary to examine different aspects of nanoagents:
1. Quantification of nanoagents’ uptake by ICP-MS
2. Localization of the nanoagents in cells by various microscopic techniques (TEM, SEM, Synchrotron radiation-DUV, confocal etc.)
3. Co-localization of nanoagents with cell organelles by utilization of X-ray microscopy. This task will be performed during the secondment at Queen’s University of Belfast.
4. Toxicity studies of nanoagents on cells by performing clonogenic assays
5. Effect of uptaken nanoagents on genetic material of the cell by immunohistochemistry techniques
6. Effect of uptaken nanoagents on cell death by cytoflourimetric techniques
2009-2011: MSc in molecular biology, Faculty of Science, University of Novi Sad, Serbia
2006-2009: BSc in molecular biology, Faculty of Science, University of Novi Sad, Serbia
2013: Early Stage Researcher at University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada and Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2012: Internship at Scientific Veterinary Institute “Novi Sad”, Novi Sad, Serbia
2011: Internship at Clinical Center of Vojvodina (Immunological Department) in Novi Sad, Serbia